7.31.2008

Yet Another Summer Project That Doesn't Involve Writing

I am this close (note: I am pinching the thumb and forefinger of my right hand very close together) to finishing staining (or, finishing finishing) the bookcase we recently purchased from the woodshop of a local drug and alcohol rehab facility. We didn't like the color or gloss of the finish or the decorative pieces of the ones they sell in their thrift store, so we got them to make us an unfinished bookcase to which I added our own decorative pieces and type of finish.

Looking back on the whole process, I think I would still have done it this way, even though it has cost me more money and much more time, effort, and headache (sometimes, literally). But it really does look good--not fantastic or immanently impressive, but good. It was even called "beautiful" by a visitor, so maybe it's better than good, but I'm usually my own worst critic.

I would've preferred building up layers of a wax finish over the stain to someday give it that deep, old antique look. But, the wood being pine, and pine being very porous and thus very difficult to stain without the over-contrasted zebra effect of stain soaking into some of the grain more than other, it was better to go with a stain/poly combination rather than putting down a sealer coat then stain then finish, since the stain/poly combo sits on top of the wood (while still allowing the grain to come through) more than it deeply penetrates it. It thus has a bit more of a hard sheen of a poly finish rather than the equally smooth but more woody-natural and muted look of a wax finish. I haven't researched it, but I'm guessing that wax finishes don't really go on poly finishes, but if that were possible I may consider it.

No comments: