Two shots of Exit Glacier (well, one of the glacier and one of some folks who decided to risk "death or serious injury"). The camera just won't capture how close you really are to that thing. (BTW, it was about 10:00pm when I took these.) By this time in our trip, we (Chris and I) were wanting to see a bear. We saw moose, reindeer, sea lions, orca whales, porpoises, puffins, and a bald eagle...but no bear. Some folks coming off the trail claimed they saw one, so off we went (even though it was late and we were tired and we still had a couple of hours to drive before we got home and the mosquitos were hungry). Unfortunately, we didn't get to see the mystical creature.




A reindeer farm, and the ever-present retail monster.

Me engaging in an Alaskan summer tradition: reading the paper outside at midnight. This was the last night I was there. It was cloudy and, consequently, darker than usual. But it really was light enough to read by!

Another ever-present Alaskan...attraction: moose droppings (L). I say "attraction" because they sell jewelry and the like made with this stuff! (Yes, I bought some: earrings, a ring, and some mixed drink stirrers.)

An
oosik (R). You can even
get one on eBay (only 5 days left to bid!).
2 comments:
funny & gross!
the pictures are gorgeous!
matt spent some time there one summer. he said he went running one time & realized that when he got back he was running at 10pm!
alaska is one of the possible places we could be stationed, next or at some point in the future. at any rate, we have friends going there next, so it's on my vacation list!
Just saw Stephen Barnes at a restaurant at lunch. Love the pictures...
Post a Comment