8.15.2005

Alaska pics: Hatcher Pass


Here is a shot on our way up through Hatcher Pass. You can see the trail at the bottom left. I loved the grey granite, white snow, and green grass contrast.

(Note: Most everything in these pictures looks farther away than it actually seemed.)






Here is the same mountain range from higher up (below R). As my friend Chris and I made our way across the boulder field (we could've taken the trail around it, but what's the fun in that?), you could see a stream running underneath the rocks. Here it is showing itself (below L).


There was much more bouldering to come...along with making our way tentatively across little streams and over rocks covered in snow, making it quite difficult not to step knee deep in a hole of some sort and soak your hiking shoes.



Here is Lower Reed Lake (about 3500 ft or so in elevation) even farther up (below L). We didn't make it to Upper Reed Lake--after going 2500 ft in elevation in 3-4 miles, I didn't quite feel the need to go another 1000 ft in the 1-2 miles to get there. The lake had a nice sheet of ice on it.






These falls were just above Lower Reed Lake (R). We had our meal and a nice nap on the upper falls (where I got a nice sock tan line).

Here I am in front of that lower falls.

3 comments:

miriam said...

Um, is Bryan wearing a fanny pack?

Carrie said...

These pictures are awesome.

Rebecca said...

So cool. Can't wait to here more trip stories...